This episode will deal at great length with the topic of suicide. Please check SuicidePrevention.ca for resources and crisis centers near you, or for American listeners, please check Suicidology.com’s crisis centers.
The Movie: Christine (2016)
With guest Jeremy Hobbs, associate producer of David Lynch: The Art Life (buy the Criterion Collection edition on Amazon).
In telling the story of a woman best known for her live suicide on a news broadcast, Christine ran the risk of being exploitative, even pornographic. But in the hands of lead actor Rebecca Hall and director Antonio Campos, the movie ends up instead as a tribute to the real Christine Chubbuck and a seemingly sincere exploration of why she died when and how she did.
Before that, we also couldn’t go without talking about Netflix’s latest Marvel series, The Punisher.
Further Reading, Viewing, and Links:
- Got Your 6 and their 6 Certified program for media that “portrays veterans accurately and responsibly.”
- Cinema Sewer, the publication where Jeremy first heard about Christine Chubbuck
- Cinema Sewer vol. 6, featuring Jeremy’s interview with Ginger Lynn Allen
- the Twitter thread I mentioned regarding S-Town‘s handling of suicide (click for the rest and scroll through)
Other Episodes Referenced:
- Episode #82 – Black Mirror: San Junipero – w/ Jeremy Hobbs
Other Movies and Series mentioned:
- American Psycho
- August Osage County
- Daredevil (series)
- Dirty Laundry (watch on YouTube)
- Fight Club
- Jessica Jones (watch on Netflix)
- Kate Plays Christine
- Killer Joe
- La La Land
- Luke Cage
- Pulp Fiction
- The Punisher (1989)
- The Punisher (2004)
- Punisher: War Zone
- The Punisher (series)
- Simon Killer
- State of Grace
- The Town
- Vicky Cristina Barcelona
We are a proud member of the Electric Streams podcast network.
The NetFlakes Podcast is brought to you in part by Springboard.
Check out the NetFlakes Patreon campaign to support the project and get rewards.