CW: discussions of transphobia, including slurs
The Series: RuPaul’s Drag Race (2009-present)
With guest Josh Morrison.
For all of its power in bringing drag and queer culture to an increasingly mainstream audience, guest Josh Morrison also wants us to recognize that, at times, RuPaul’s Drag Race and its titular queen don’t have a flawless track record when it comes to trans equality and gay misogyny.
Further Reading, Viewing, and Links:
- if you’d like a Dirt Squirrel fan of your own, you can get one here
- Dylan’s guest spots on NetFreaks talking about Grace & Frankie – Season One and Season Two
- Kate Borstein’s blog post about the history and use of the word “tranny,” called “Who You Calling a Tranny?” as well as her follow-up post five years later called “Tranny, Revisited”
- the book The Makeup of RuPaul’s Drag Race: Essays on the Queen of Reality Shows including Josh’s essay “Draguating’ to Normal: Camp and Homonormative Politics” (paperback: $34.86 or Kindle: $9.99)
Other Episodes Referenced:
- Episode #44 – The Great Muppet Caper w/ Josh Morrison
- Episode #74 – Back to the Future Part II w/ Rob MacDougall
Other Movies and Series mentioned:
- America’s Next Top Model
- Canada’s Next Top Model
- Grace & Frankie
- Jane the Virgin
- Mrs. Brown’s Boys
- Project Runway
- Queer Eye for the Straight Guy
- Santa Clarita Diet
- Scream Queens
- Will & Grace
Dylan Clark-Moore is a podcast creator and blogger at NetFlakes. You can find him on Letterboxd and Twitter.
If you like what you heard this week, why not subscribe to The NetFlakes Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, or whichever podcast platform you use via our podcast feed.
We are a proud member of the Electric Streams podcast network.
The NetFlakes Podcast is brought to you in part by UnLondon’s 121 Studios.
Check out the NetFlakes Patreon campaign to support the project and get rewards.