The movie: Spanish psychological thriller The Skin I Live In
The guest: Co-host of Hammer films podcast Hammertime Horror, Riley McDonald
Trigger warning re: discussions of sexual assault and violence
Among the topics we get into:
- bad Netflix plot summaries
- the incredible structure of The Skin I Live In and how its non-linear story creates a compelling confusion of feelings
- the murky danger of sympathy
- the fragility of identity
- how one’s face belongs more to others than to ourselves
- the movie’s deft balancing of multiple genres
Links & Mentions:
- You can find Hammertime Horror on iTunes, Soundcloud, Twitter, Facebook, and Tumblr. You can also find Riley on his Twitter.
- In case you missed our podcast on Ex Machina, you can find it here
- The film Riley mentions is Gaspard Noé’s Irreversible
Check out the NetFlakes Patreon campaign to support the project and get rewards.
The Skin I Live In is also available on Amazon.