Back for his second episode of The NetFlakes Podcast, we welcome filmmaker Edward Platero to help guide us through Kathryn Bigelow’s prescient 1995 sci-fi thriller, Strange Days.
Twenty years later, the themes of virtual reality, technological ethics, and racially-charged tension with police all ring just as true now as they ever have.
We also celebrate Angela Bassett’s Macey, the background-to-foreground protagonist whose ass-kicking is so inspiring it leads to riots and eventually a hope for racial harmony.
- The episode of What’s The Point I reference is called “Are Algorithms Ruining How We Discover Music?”
- The video for Fatboy Slim’s “Right Here, Right Now”
- More information about the Sony MiniDisc
- Edward’s last podcast about Interstellar
- Our podcast about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
- Our podcast about Heathers
- The teaser for Glass:
- Edward’s video for the Jack Richardson London Music Awards, featuring a heap of London’s local musicians:
If you like what you heard this week, why not subscribe to The NetFlakes Podcast on iTunes, or whichever podcast app you use.
Check out the NetFlakes Patreon campaign to support the project and get rewards.
Strange Days is also available on Amazon.