January 16, 2016
- TV: Master Of None – Episode 1.8: Old People
- The more I watch Master of None, the more I love and appreciate it. “Old People” had the immediate effect making me feel like a bad person and also comforting me by letting me know that everyone else is a bad person too.
January 17, 2016
- Book: The Return of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke
January 20, 2016
- TV: Brooklyn Nine-Nine – Episode 3.12: 9 Days
- TV: Wayward Pines – Episode 1.3: Our Town, Our Law
- Short Film: She Has Divided Me…
- This is the first short film from filmmaker Jason R. Gray, who you may recognize from our Upstream Color and Under the Skin podcasts.
January 21, 2016
- TV: Master of None – Episode 1.9: Mornings
- A fantastic story about relationships and probably the only multi-month bottle episode I’ve ever seen.
January 22, 2016
- TV: Wayward Pines – Episode 1.4: One Of Our Senior Realtors Has Chosen to Retire
January 23, 2016
- TV: The Office – Episode 1.1: Pilot
- I had forgotten just how wonderfully uncomfortable this show is. Not to mention, this episode has one of my all-time favourite Jim pranks: the stapler in Jell-O.
January 24, 2016
- Podcast: The Cracked Podcast – Episode #105: Ways America Was Shockingly Evil Very Recently
- This is one of my favourite podcast episodes in recent memory. As casual as Jack O’Brien and the gang usually are, this feels like we’re getting under the hood of the hosts and listening to them, in real time, work through white guilt. It also includes the probably unintentionally poignant phrase, when Jack is talking about homophobic hate-speech, “the fucking eff-word.”
- TV: The Magic School Bus – Episode 2.1: Blows Its Top
- TV: Puffin Rock – Episode 1.37: Mossy Goes Solo
- TV: Puffin Rock – Episode 1.38: Flooded Burrow
- TV: Puffin Rock – Episode 1.39: Daytime Sleepover
January 25, 2016
- Podcast: The Docket: Making a Murderer After Show – Episode 3
- If you’re like me (and the rest of the Internet), then you can’t get enough of Making a Murderer. Alternate theories and uncovered evidence are my whole life right now. The show is two Canadian laywers, a former prosecutor and a defense attorney going through each episode of the show and providing their professional and personal insights. Their frequent guest is a former Supreme Court Justice, adding an extra voice to the conversation and, amusingly, tut-tutting whenever host Michael cusses.
- Movie: Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!
January 26, 2016
- Podcast: How Did This Get Made? – Episode #128: Streets of Fire: LIVE!
- Podcast: How Did This Get Made? – Episode #115: Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!
- Podcast: The NetFlakes Podcast – Episode #45: Adventures in Babysitting w/ Deanne Kondrat
- Podcast: The Co-Main Event Podcast – Episode 189
- TV: The Office – Episode 1.2: Diversity Day
January 27, 2016
- Podcast: The Cracked Podcast – Episode #106: Why The English Language Is Messing With Your Head
- Podcast: A Feedback Loop – Episode 19: Jeremy De Freitas
- Dylan and Jesse talk about the first and likely only release from artist Jeremy De Freitas, who made the album to cross something off of his bucket list. Is it a vanity project? Is it an affirmation of just doing what feels right? I guess time will tell.
- TV: Wayward Pines – Episode 1.5: The Truth
- This show is becoming increasingly bad for my health. It feels like Twin Peaks and LOST had an impatient baby.
January 28, 2016
- Podcast: The Docket: Making a Murderer After Show – Episode 4
- More great stuff, including a scathing look at Len Kachinsky and his shit-eating grin.
- Podcast: The Docket: Making a Murderer After Show – Episode 5
- As Making a Murderer moves into the courtroom, our hosts really get a chance to show their stuff. We also get a fascinating comparison between the Canadian and American (or at least Wisconsinian) legal systems.
- TV: The Office – Episode 1.3: Health Care
January 29, 2016
- Podcast: The Docket: Making a Murderer After Show – Bonus Episode – Jerry Buting Interview
- There’s no doubt that the breakout stars of Making a Murderer were defense attorneys Dean Strang and Jerry Buting. In this special-within-a-special, the crew talks to Buting about his experiences in and out of the courtroom. Oddly enough, the episode goes into surprising detail about how much money lawyers make.
- Podcast: What’s the Point – Bad Data (and Worse Decisions) Poisoned Flint
- Podcast: FiveThirtyEight Elections – One Week to Iowa: 1/25/16
January 30, 2016
- Podcast: Hold My Order, Terrible Dresser – 007: Nowhere Band
- Movie: Blade Runner: Final Cut at Retro-Mania at the Hyland Cinema
January 31, 2016
- Podcast: The Docket: Making a Murderer After Show – Episode 6
- Podcast: Hold My Order, Terrible Dresser – 006: The Dungarees vs. The Suits
- TV: Wayward Pines – Episode 1.6: Choices